The effectiveness of exercises to keep one fit and maintain one’s weight draws attention to it. But, suppose you have put on a few extra pounds and cannot fit into that stunning dream dress or the pair of jeans you have always desired. Then, you can rely on HealthifyMe. With the help of this article, you can effectively lose weight without worrying about gaining it back. Cardio is for the cardiovascular muscle, i.e., muscles of the heart. Moreover, it benefits numerous other body systems, including muscular and respiratory. Cardiovascular exercise is the most common form of weight loss exercise. It speeds up the heartbeat and metabolism, two crucial factors in weight loss. However, focusing solely on cardio might not be enough to get the desired weight loss results.
Some are big fans of cardio for weight loss. Results are overwhelmingly positive. However, limiting oneself to cardio exercise may not be the best option for older adults who want to lose weight. Strength training exercises are a necessity. Additionally, it would help to incorporate mindful eating into your weight loss diet plan for cardio to function at its peak. However, you may not be wise if you think gymming more after consuming junk food will not derail you from your weight loss track.
To lose weight and maintain it after losing the extra kilos, you need to be mindful of what you take on your plate. Portion control and healthy food alternatives with exercise are the keys to weight loss. Cardio exercise does burn a good number of calories. Still, you need to incorporate two learnings. First, stick to regular exercise and create a calorie deficit. Understand the principles of eating right.
Cardio and Weight Loss
Cardio exercises improve endurance and help reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems. Again, it is because plenty of oxygen is pumped and circulated throughout the body while exercising.
Cardio and strength training helps in burning calories. It happens when you give your body the regular workout needed. According to studies, it also helps the body increase its metabolic rate. Which helps you burn more calories and fat efficiently throughout the day.
Ageing makes our bodies weak. As you age, the body condition results from how you treat it at a young age. You must exercise every day and lead a healthy life so that the body becomes strong. The stronger you make your body, the better it will remain as you age. It will help you keep a good body posture and provide the strength to be active.
The HealthifyMe Note
Cardio exercises are not only helpful for weight loss, but they also have other health benefits. Some health benefits include boosting your mood, building muscle and strength, improving endurance and stamina, and maintaining a fit and healthy body in later stages.
Effective Cardio Exercises for Weight Loss
Knowing what exercises you can perform daily to maintain the weight loss journey is vital. It is crucial to understand that exercises like running, rope jumping, power walking, organised sports, and dancing come under cardio. However, brisk walking or jogging will not aid in weight loss.
Here we list some cardio exercises you may include in your workout routine to lose weight.
If you are an active person, you might already know about this exercise. It is widely practised in gyms and is a beneficial exercise. Also, it not only improves the hip muscles but also helps improve the core muscles. It is usually a part of your daily workout session cardio. The instructions you need to follow for the exercise are as follows.
- Lie down straight on the ground on your belly.
- Place the palms parallel to your shoulders on the floor.
- Lift your body parallel to the floor.
- And come up to your toes.
- It would help if you ensured that your elbows and knees were straight.
- Now bring your right knee towards your right elbow.
- Try to get the leg as close as possible, keeping your feet in the air.
- Bring back the right leg, with the toes on the floor.
- Do this for the left side as well.
- Repeat this for 15 counts.
Jump Lunge Exercise
One can perform lunges in the standing position. We take our legs forward, bend down, and go back up in a simple lunge. We continue this for both sides. Furthermore, we must jump whenever we come back up for a jump lunge exercise. Follow the below steps to properly carry out this exercise.
- Keep your palms on your waist. It helps you keep balance.
- Take your right leg forward.
- Bend down to form a 90-degree on the right knee, keeping the left leg straight.
- After bending down, you need to push your body upwards while getting back up.
- Take a jump and swap your legs while in the air.
- Now repeat the same for the left side.
- Repeat this exercise for 10-counts on each side of the leg.
Just like we do squats, jumping squats is a more advanced version of the exercise. Follow the given steps for this exercise.
- Stand straight, keeping your feet at shoulder length to each other.
- Join your palms in front of you. It helps you keep the balance.
- Bend your knees, keeping the upper body straight.
- Move to a position where your knees are at a 90-degree.
- Push your feet downwards and jump on your feet.
- Right after the jump, bend your knees for the next squat.
- Keep your upper body straight in the complete process.
- Repeat this for 15 counts.
This activity helps you improve your strength in the pulling action. In addition, it enables you to improve your arm strength. The steps for this exercise are as follows.
- Make sure you have a horizontal rod one-hand distance above your head.
- Hold the rod with your palms and shift your weight from your foot to your arms.
- Fold your knees a little, so your feet are not touching the ground.
- Pull your body upwards with your arms while engaging your core.
- Pull up till your shoulders come to the rod level.
- Then gradually release your body and go downwards.
- Repeat this for 15 reps, 3-sets every day, increasing it gradually.
It is the most basic move: picking up something from the ground. For the deadlift, you need to keep some weights that you need to pick. Follow the given instructions.
- Stand straight, keeping your legs shoulder-length apart.
- Squat down, keeping your back straight.
- Reach out and grab the weights
- Pull the weight along with your body.
- Make sure you keep your upper body straight.
- Repeat this action for 15 counts, 3-sets every day, increasing it gradually.
The HealthifyMe Note
Exercises like running, rope jumping, power walking, playing sports like badminton or tennis, and dancing come under cardio Combining. Weight training with cardio at a constant pace and intensity makes it highly effective. Regular cardio should be performed for 30 minutes to an hour, depending on your stamina. Try including mountain climbers, jump lunge exercises, jumping squats, pullups, and deadlifts in your daily workout.
Cardiovascular activity improves your overall fitness and strengthens your endurance. Therefore, cardio workouts have various health advantages besides helping people lose weight. Additionally, it’s crucial to remember that following a nutritious diet and regular exercise go hand in hand. Therefore, you must follow a diet optimum in calories to reduce weight. On the other hand, exercises combining high-intensity cardio and strength training can yield effective results.